STRONGS INSURANCE is an authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA). You can check these details on the Financial Services Register by visiting the FCA's Website or by contacting the FCA on 0800 111 6768. Our FCA register number is 310707

                                           Home Insurance


Making sure you have the right cover for your Household Insurance is just as important as getting a good price so let us at STRONGS INSURANCE take the hassle out of shopping around for the best deal.  As an intermediary we have access to a wide range of Home Insurance products from our panel of over 25 insurers and can tailor a policy to suit your individual requirements and hopefully make you a saving.

What is Home Insurance?

Home Insurance or Household Insurance usually consists of cover for Buildings and Contents.  A combined policy to cover your Building and Contents often results in a discounted premium and normally reults in a considerable saving.

How much do I insure my home and belongings for?


The ‘sum insured’ is the maximum amount you will be paid by the insurance company if all your belongings are totally destroyed in a major incident like a fire or flood. You need to make sure the ‘sum insured’ is sufficient to replace all of your possessions (contents) or to rebuild your home (Buildings). The responsibility is yours to ensure the sum insured is adequate. A Home Contents policy will cover almost everything within the home that can be moved or taken with you should you move.


A simple method of calculating the correct Household Contents sum insured is to make a list of all the contents in each room within your property with approximate replacement costs. The list should include:-

Floor coverings, Carpets and Curtains

Furniture and Soft furnishings

Electronics and Appliances

Valuables (Jewellery, Watches, Cameras)

Sports and Leisure Equipment

Garden and DIY

Clothing and Linen

Toys and Games

Do not forget to include the Contents of the Garage, Shed and Loft and any other items not listed above.


Many insurers will cover your Contents up to a limit of say £50,000 or £75,000 which removes some of the reliance on you to calculate your sum insured but it is still your responsibility to ensure the sum insured is adequate.  It is advisable to check your sum insured at least once a year at renewal of your policy to take into account any expensive purchases during the year. However, the sum insured can be increased at any time during the policy year.


As with Contents Insurance it is extremely important that the Building sum insured is right. The sum insured for the building is the total cost of rebuilding your home in the event of a major incident such as a Fire or Flood, not the market value or purchase price of the property. Please speak to us for advice.


A Home Buildings policy usually covers the structure of the property including double glazing, domestic outbuildings,  fitted kitchens and bathrooms, drives, footpaths, boundary/garden walls, swimming pools/hot tubs, laminate or wooden flooring , garages that form part of your residence and Underground pipes and cables you are responsible for.


Every effort should be made to prevent being ‘under insured’ as this will be costly in the event of a claim.

What risks does Household Insurance protect you against?


Theft or attempted Theft, Fire, explosion, lightning, earthquake, Escape of water or oil from tanks or pipes, Storm and flood, Subsidence, Heave or Landslip, Falling trees or branches, Breakage or collapse of television aerials and satellite equipment.

Contents policies may also include:-

Accidental damage to TV’s, DVD players, home computers and other audio equipment plus fixed glass in furniture, mirrors and ceramic hobs

Replacement locks – if keys are accidentally lost or stolen

Accidental loss of metered water

Alternative accommodation –  if property is damaged by an insured cause

Household removals – loss of damage to contents while being moved by professional removers


Full Accidental Damage is available as an optional extra to provide extra cover for all your Household goods – cover can also be extended to cover your personal belongings outside the home.

Buildings policies may also include:-

Accidental damage to fixed glass and sanitary fittings including fixed baths, shower trays, shower screens, bidets, wash basins and pedestals.

Tracing and accessing leaks –  covers necessary damage caused to parts of the building to find and repair the source of a leak and making good.


All policies have exclusions and these will be stated in the policy or the policy summary . There is usually an excess to pay in the event of a claim and different excesses may apply to different types of claim.

We hope that the above has been of some help to you, should you require any advise or a quotation please contact our office on 01277 624864 or complete our Call Back Form on our Contact page and will return to you.